Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Speak On It, Mr. Cosby, Speak On It!


Speak On It, Mr. Cosby, Speak On It!
AMW !.e. Talent: DJ Single Handed
July 2, 2007


The iconic actor/comedian/advocate Bill Cosby has been extremely vocal about his dissatisfaction with the happenings in Philadelphia’s urban communities. He can often be found serving biting criticisms of the city’s residents, citing lack of responsibility on the part of parents and all community members as the cause of constant violence. In an article published on the grass roots web-based newsletter Free Republic, Cosby was quoted as saying "For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around…..Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby recently hosted a form at Temple University’s Center City Campus in downtown Philadelphia. He along with several professors addressed education students about violence in schools. He stressed the fact that anti-violence programs are necessary for not only the safety of the students but the teachers as well. The teacher retention rate is becoming much lower because they become frustrated and no longer feel like they can do their jobs.

Cosby’s poignant point of the night: "Programs are being pushed out because people don't care about the children. If they don't care about the children, then they don't care about the teachers."

I can’t possibly understand how people don’t care, but on the other hand, I do understand.

I can’t understand how people don’t care about the well-being of their own communities as well as others. Having the opportunity to get a good education is one of the central building blocks to a person’s success. It not only provides the knowledge needed to “get through life,” but also a sense of fulfillment necessary to instilling solid self-worth, which is an excellent antidote to violence.

Teachers, administrators, and all others in the education field should be our greatest, most important asset.

On the other hand, the fact that I can’t feel how all this affects me directly lessens the priority for me to spring into action and do something about this situation. I live in the suburbs of Philly and can easily go about my daily business since I only see what’s going on when I watch the 11:00 news. I know many others who have the same affliction.

I am a stereotypical Jew in some ways, which explains why I’m looking to get my master’s degree and teaching certification so that I can teach high school. The Jew would love to provide a good education for those who need it most right now. The other side of me worries about becoming just as frustrated and disillusioned as the current crop of teachers and eventually contributing to the attrition rate.

Only time will tell. Hopefully, I along with other current and future educators can put our idealistic goals where our mouths are.

Source: Eurweb.com

No comments: