Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Wu, A Beatles Son, and a Chili Pepper?


The Wu, A Beatles Son, and a Chili Pepper?
Andrea M. White
August 15, 2007

It’s hard to say if Beatles guitarist, George Harrison is looking down upon this with a slight grin of fatherly pride or if he’s rolling over in his grave, but it looks like his one-and-only son, Dhani Harrison has teamed up with the Wu Tang Clan to play acoustic guitar on the classic Beatles remake of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”

The 29-year-old who is also the lead guitarist of a band that he started in 2006, Thenewno2, began his music career when he finished an album his father was working on before his death in 2001. According to an interview with Rolling Stone, RZA spoke fervently about the Dhani/Wu collaboration, “He's the biggest Wu-Tang fan in the world. He knew all the kung fu shit! That's deep! I told him I would be honored if he played his father’s song."

Just when you thought this group effort couldn’t get any better, The Wu also got John Frusciante, guitarist from The Red Hot Chili Peppers to play lead on the classic remake, which will be titled, “Gently Weeps.” Wu Tang will rap over the Dhani/John recording, which portrays a heroine user/heroine dealer relationship. RZA explains, “Method Man portrays the victim, while Ghostface turns in one of the best lyrics I've ever heard him say."

Whew! I can’t wait, but I’m definitely not making any plans based on the newest release date which has been pushed back from this Summer to November of this year, and will probably be pushed back again before I’m finished writing this sentence. Despite my whining, it sounds like it’s definitely worth waiting for. The Wu seem to be taking this album to another level, with the help of a Beatle’s son and a Chili Pepper. Fans are holding their breath and wondering can they really pull off a BEATLES REMAKE? Hell, I say why not? Why can’t one of the greatest rap groups of all time pull off a musical rendition from the greatest pop band of all time? Oh well, enough of the questions, I guess until the release I’ll just thumb through my Wu-Tang manual and wait for the killer bee’s to arrive.

No comments: