Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wyclef Jean – Back for Another Carnival


Wyclef Jean – Back for Another Carnival
AMW !.e. Talent: DJ Single Handed
August 15, 2007

Look who’s dropping an album during an era where a lack of creativity equals immense popularity and radio and video play. That’s right, folks….one of the most creative and musically talented envelope-pushers on the planet: Wyclef Jean.

The Haitian-born rapper/singer/songwriter/producer/ambassador to Haiti/whatever-other-hats-he-can-possibly-wear is dropping his first album in four years entitled The Carnival II: Memoirs of an Immigrant. The album, slated to hit stores this fall, features production from Jean and his long-time partner Jerry “Wonda” Duplessis.

Jean states that he focused “a lot on the songwriting” and that this album “is a continuation of ‘Gone Til November’,” one of his hits from his first album, The Carnival.

The album’s first single, “The Sweetest Girl (Dollar Bill)” featuring Akon, Lil’ Wayne, and Nia, sounds like vintage Wyclef (which means it sounds great!). From the beat to the concept all the way down to how the supporting cast complements ‘Clef’s vocals, this song shows that the man is back!

Contributing vocals to the album will be T.I., Shakira, Norah Jones, Serj Tankian from System Of A Down, and Paul Simon. Yes, I said Paul Simon. The same guy who sang “You Can Call Me Al” and “Graceland” which I heard over and over again on every single road trip I ever took with my mother.

If Wyclef can do a song with Kenny Rogers and make it come off, then I trust his ability to collaborate with Paul Simon and anyone else in the world for that matter.

I’ll be looking forward to hearing Wyclef’s new carnival of sounds. I’m not one to start up speculation as to whether or not it will be as good as the first The Carnival album. As long as the music is good, then that’s all that matters. I hope to get another reggae-tinged song sung in Creole like “Jaspora” from his first album. That’s all I would need; the rest would be a bonus.

Oh, and so far it doesn’t look like any of his former Fugee group-mates will be on the album. Every time I hear Lauryn Hill’s name come up, it’s because she’s acting wacked out again. Every time I hear Pras’s name come up….oh wait, I don’t hear his name come up anymore. Maybe once John Forté comes home from prison, he’ll bring the group back together in typical “oooops, we nuts, baby!” fashion. Until then, it will just have to wait.

Source: Allhiphop.com

No comments: